Sunday, December 7, 2008

So basically...

I strongly dislike society.

I wrote this sentence ages ago,like months ago I'm fairly certain,but the point was reitterated to me this week at uni.That is,I was reminded of my strong dislike and almost hatred for society.Not all society mind you,but certaintly many aspects of it.

I started uni again this week,as already mentioned.A topic that came up kinda frequently was the amount of attractive girls that were at uni.This was a true statement,no matter how much you chose to ignore it,there were ALOT of attractive girls at uni.I don't necessairly have a problem with this.My problem is the way many aspects of society portray women,or girls,and the way this affects the mind of the man(I'm using myself as the example here)and also the way girls choose to portray themselves and the way they are portrayed in media etc. By now you can probably guess where this blog is heading,but I am going to continue,just because its something I have been thinking over alot latly and dealing with personally aswell.

Some much of what we see,hear and say in this day and age is do with sex,it surrounds us and engulfs us and our lives.To an extent,it should be this way,God has given us sex as a wonderful(or so I'm often told.haha)gift,but as is often the case, sin has come in and twisted and distorted our vision,view and idea of it.This has,not unsurprisngly,leaked out into the society in which we live.Girls now parade themselves around from day to day in skimpy outfits with little shame or regret,they also fail to relaise the effect this has on the male portion of the population.I feel,and it does sadden me that this is the case,that the days of modesty and respectability,especially for each others bodies,are all but gone now.

Girls,and please note,I do not by any means every single girl there is,but girls,are all about "getting the guy",getting him to notice you,getting him to be into you,getting him to be attracted to you.I find this very annoying,for more than one reason.The first is,if often causes them to dress,and I admit I'm not 100%sure how to word this,but I'll give it a shot at least. It causes them to dress in an interesting, unhelpful(to guys at least)way and at times pretty immodest.I dont think girls realise just how visually stimulated guys are,it doesn't take much to make a guy think about sex,let me say that much,so alot of the time the way a girl/women is dressed is not often the most helpful thing to a male.The other thing is that this causes the girls to have such a superficial exsistence.They all focus,and all the focus is put on,their outward physical apperance when there is definantly so much more to every individual girl out there that goes far deeper than the way they look.Self-esteem is often wrapped up into this aswell,which is a very sad fact.They worry frequently over whether or not the guy is interested or not in her and this can become their obsession.

Guys are not free from blame here either.I feel,and I definantly count myself in this,that we often play on this fact of the girls. We flirt with them and encourage it in a sense and certaintly encourging the aforementioned obsession.Its certaintly no secret that the more attractive girls do get more attention.This both angers and disgusts me,and I do conceed that I am at fault here to.However,this should stop(and a idealistic world it probably would).There is so much more to a person than their outward apperance and we should make every effort to get to know a person regardless of experince,but being realistic within the society in which we live,this will probably not happen as regularly as it should.

All of these things give way to one of the biggest and most prominent sins of our age(or so I feel).This is also one of the most underated,or should I say,"better disguised" sins.Lust.This seems to almost be a dirty word now.People don't like to mention it,and even avoid the term and discussing it all together,but it is prominent and you need look no where further than the mordern media to find that fact.The way magazines,movies,t.v shows etc portrays not only women,but the idea of sex in general,is quite despicable and in some ways disgusting.I can not play it all on the media or celebritities,for even the very nature of humanity is at fault to,and of course sin,but the media,whether you admit it or not,has a strong hold of influence over us,our culture and our society,both obvious and subliminal.The image portrayed to us of sex and women,only feeds both the lust of men and also the self-esteem issue that faces many wome.Those of not being happy with their bodies and having to fit a mould that may not nessecairly fit their individual type.I think this is one of the things that angers me most.Its that sex and physicality is no longer sacred,in fact its ridiculed in a vast array of circles.

I forget where I read the quote,but I once read in a magazine or a feature in a newspaper,or some form of media,whatever it was,it was good and really made me think.The main point is,the article writer was interviewing a women for whatever reason,I think it was because of some extreme religous sect or something along those lines.Anyway, woman was talking about the rules and regulations and one of them was that her husband was the only man who was allowed to see even her hair,the journalists response was something along these lines; "I remember thinking,my God,how special must this man feel and this relationship be when he is the only one whos allowed to see even her hair!"The journo also mentioned something about the way the bedroom felt very sacred and romantic,but I don't know if I buy into that part as much.The point is,this is what a good healthy relationship,a sexual relationship,between man and wife,should be like!But sadly,the media and social constructs distort and twist our view and we lose the depth and meaning to it all.

A final point that I have been thinking on of late is this.Although I don't nessecairly agree with the Muslim belief/religon,or the way the enforce certain rules.However,I think they may be onto one thing in the way they dress with the Burka(please pardon my spelling if this is wrong).As I said,I don't particularly agree,but its an interesting idea.Having women dress modestly and sacredly,their body only for their husband's eyes.Its a lovely and beautiful sentiment.I'd hate to think what both girls and guys alike are going to be like when they have to confront all the barries and obstacles in a serious relationship due to previous wrong sexual experinces in other relationships.This applies to all circles of people and beliefs.Lust takes ahold and grows into a ugly,distorting and facturing monster.It has to be put to death,or else it only continues to grow and destroy.

The fact of the matter is,guys are very vulnerable to lust and are very visually driven/stimulated.This causes a great problem due to what the media feeds both men and women alike and also due to the ever changing and what appears to be frequently more revealing fashion world.Ideally,we would be able to stop this in another world and we wouldn't have the same pain and struggles that we do now.However,realstically,society will never allow for this and can never return to the early-mid 1900's when sex was still valued and sacred.I think this is what I find the most frustrating,that and no matter what we do,lust will forever infiltrate our lives.

I feel slightly vulnerable here in that I may have come across abit more sexest than I meant to.Girls are not to blame for my arguement or anything like that.Guys are just as much to blame as are girls,all of society is at fault.Guys need to use and develop self control just as much as everyone else.Please don't hear me wrong and think it's all the girls fault,it is not all them.


2 comments:

Kloo said...

no wonder you took so long to write it!

i like how you said islam's encouragement of the wife for man only was a 'lovely and beautiful sentiment'.

i have to tell you what kade said the other day. it was really funny but not for the public domain in print. haha.

Tina said...

I agree with most things you said here but still I have to speak my mind about the muslim tradition. Don't get me wrong, I don't mind the tradition but can't agree to applay it worldwide. You've forgotten that muslim culture also has poligamy, which means a man has the right to have more than one woman. I bet he feels special and great but just think about the woman? And eaven in monogamy, it's like the woman has no word in choosing her husband.
The world goes on and unfortunatelly people are loosing values and principles. I can't say I'm one of those girls you described but still I can understand what you mean. And frankly, guys are not far from that neither; haircuts, clothes, parfumes, bodybuilding, etc. isn't it the same? It's not exactly the same as with girls but it's pointing in the same direction. What I want to say is, If a girl or a guy thinks he/she should do that to get the attention, he/she should. Cause I think there are still few around who have enough personality to avoid souch behaviour. They are harder to find but still, worth finding. And as long you don't give in, you will find the lovely and beautiful sentimet, without the usance of robes:)